Saturday, April 6, 2013

Bako...hot, humid, wild Bako...

Franck, Delia and I, after 30 minutes of bus and 30 minutes of boat, made it to Bako  natural reserve by 9:30am the next day...welcome by a few monkeys and wild boars...oh and lots of other tourists obviously. lol
Us three, and Sergio, a mid 60's retired Italian who lives in Belgium and used to be a chemical engineer start on our first trail...5.8km. Ha! Might seem like nothing of a distance to hike...yeah right! Lets just say that the last 200 meters of the trail took us about 45minutes! The whole trail took us a good 4.5 hours. It was then that i realized the following: having hair actually prevents you from having a continuous pouring flood of sweat down your face and into your eyes, and Gosh am I out of  shape!!!!!!!!! Also, the constant switch from airless super hot and humid jungle to even hotter and dry mountain top, is just plain exhausting and burning. oh, oh, oh!!! I almost forgot, not having any long hair anymore...I totally did not think about the risk that I could get sun burnt on my scalp  and in my neck. uffff......two days after am still in pain...

Anyhow...hike was great and boy did Sergio run like a rabbit the whole way...with his blue plastic bag (inside joke with Delia).

After diner, during which we had to pay very close attention to the monkeys for them not to jump in our plates (one monkey managed to steal a beer from a tourist, jump in a tree, and crack it open to drink it...adaptation, am telling you!), we went for an hour and a half of night walk in the just jungle...deadly viper, Scorpio, killer frog, spiders, glowing mushrooms, centipedes...

What a day...

Slept like a baby.

Next morning...monkey alarm at 7am...quite effective to have a squad of monkeys jump on the roof of your bed room as if it were a trampoline.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable! What a cool adventure. Yeah, you definitely have to watch out for the monkeys. Seriously, I almost had my fingers bitten off by one of them trying to steal the orange I was eating right out of my hand. Cheeky buggers! Sorry about the sunburn. Good to hear you have made some friends along the way. Love the pictures!!! Keep posting. Oh, and I will forward the link to your blog to my mom. She will be totally tickled you wrote a specific post just for her...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Goosebumps =) cant wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete