Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Last few days in Indonesia...

Today is October 3rd (already!!!). It is 9am.
I am sitting in a comfy bamboo chair, facing a bamboo jungle, in front of my homestay room, in Ubud, Bali.

I must say that I am quite surprised by what I have seen of Bali. Most people, if not every traveler I have met thus far has told me that Bali was not that great at all, and that it should be skipped. Well let me tell you, these people are so wrong!!!!!
Yes, Bali is sooooooo touristy, it is insane. But the flip side is that the Hindu influence on the island is magical. Not only the natural landscapes are breathtaking due to jingle, rice fields, and bamboo forests, but also birds and butterflies all over, and the most incredible temples and artisans everywhere. The surroundings of Ubud would make any Moroccan artisan feel ashame of their lack of skills and creativity. This region, Ubud is the most unbelievable paradise for decoration and furniture shopping. If only I had a house...if only I had money...if only I had a base. Oh well...

I only wish I had planned to dedicate much more time to Bali, but am also glad I am ending my journey by Bali. Fantastic way to fill my eyes and memory cells with gazillions of beauties, and only making me even more excited about my incoming journey to India. :-)

For my 3 days in and around Ubud I rented a bicycle. Ah, if only someone had told me that the roads and paths in the area were hardcore roller coaster and not that flat...I would have gotten a scooter...or not.

Anyhow, biked close to 100km overall, and saw so many wonders.

This area is just overwhelming with beauty and serenity. Once you pass the touristy and consumerism aspect, and open your mind and your eyes to the rest, it is magical.

Though my Nusa Tenggara and Lombok journey had ruined a bit my last month in the country and left me a sour taste in my mouth about Indonesia, my time in Ubud has definitely reconciled me with the country.

Oh, and I also discovered a great Spanish painter here, Antonio Blanco, or the Dali or Bali. I must say, I really like his style and his work. Thank you Delia for recommending his museum. :-)  great fun, though small and low key compared to the Dali museum in Spain. ;o)

Tonight I am departing from Indonesia, after 4 fantastic and different months in the country where I had initially planned to only spend 1 month.

During these 4 months in the country, I got to experience various different styles of traveling:
-on my own
-with friends for a night or two
-with friends for a long period of time
-with a romantic partner

-sleep in bus stops, streets, jetties, airport benches
-sleep in home stays
-sleep in hotels
-sleep in student boarding houses
-spend lots of time in one place
-zip through many places in a short period of time

All these so enriching experiences...

I would say the ones I didn't like at all and will strive to not repeat them in the future are zipping through many places in a short period of time. Exhausting and not so interesting culturally and socially speaking, and well...mostly source of conflicts and headaches with locals.

Indonesia gave me a lot. I will for sure treasure this country forever.
And I do want to come back for sure to travel more of Sumatra, visit Papua, and spend more time in the Togian at Kadidiri...soon hopefully. :-)

Next stop, Burma!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment