Monday, September 29, 2014

September 22nd, Mercedes is great!

Ha! Fun day!

Mercedes should most definitely come to Mauritania to look for inspiration on how to promote its brand. Lol

My ride from Chinghetti to Star was quite special. We had a model 190D I believe. Or something like that. Old and small. I shared the front passenger seat with another local my height and size. But the most incredible part is what follows...

Since the beginning of the ride I had been hearing kicks coming from the trunk. I was amazed that the locals would dare carrying a sheep aboard such a car and locked inside the trunk. How "inhumane"...no pun intended. So after a while, I got over the cruel thought and let my mind wander around to other things. But at some point, and in the middle of absolutely nowhere, after hit a pot hole, the driver stops. Being so squeezed in my seat I take advantage and like the rest of the passengers I get out to stretch my legs a bit. And there, to my grand surprise, the driver and the sheep owner (I suppose) pop open the trunk...to check on the sheep I assumed. Well yes... But, it was not one seep stuck in that trunk, nor two, nor three, not four, but a whole 5 adult sheep's, plus a suitcase plus a spare fuel tank!!!!!! Seriously!? If I had doubt about the capacity of such car's trunk before, well now I know. It was the most unbelievable thing to watch this flock come out of the trunk...and worse, watch the owner stick them back in there as if he could fit three times that quantity. The driver closed the trunk and off we went.

I spent the rest of the ride sitting down quietly thinking about all the ways that Mercedes could have used that scene in one of their commercials. Lol if only I could have gotten a nice shot of it to send them.

Back in Atar I went straight back to the house took a good shower and drop my bags. But as soon as I passed the front door, the two little kids of the guardians ran to me like mad and each hugged one of my legs and refused to let go. It was so cute. It was only the second time I saw them. So I stayed with them like that for a bit. Their parents were a bit surprised. When they finally let go of my legs, I went to my room.

Showered up and changed I went to grab a bite to eat at the little corner place where I ate the very first time I got to Atar. Fish and rice. Yummmmmy! There I met Nicolas, a going French nurse who has been coming numerous times to Star for years now and thus considered like a son of the owner and sort of a local resident as well. We see t the rest of the day chatting about travels and Africa and about the local culture. He is moving to Dakar soon so I gave him Astou's contact just in case. Really cool and easy going guy. He also gave me a couple of tips for the train ride I am heading to tomorrow.

Wedadi took me for another ride before sun down, again to go get his camel milk and show me the "beach" of Atar. Funny place...not a drop of water. A dried oued where people go to picnic as if they were on the beach...well, being so far away from anything remotely similar to a beach that's pretty much the only option the have.

For dinner I went back to the same place and again met up with Nicolas. Atar by night is very interesting and surprisingly lively for such a small town so isolated.

I am now in my room, I just packed everything up for tomorrow and am ready to sleep...one more day closer to Marrakech, NYC, Sao Paulo...yay!!!

Leila saida.

No comments:

Post a Comment