Thursday, June 13, 2013

Observations: batch #1

...about littering:
Consumer packaged goods companies must stop producing one time use portions in plastic sachets as these produce much pollution after each use. Yet on the other end, producing much bigger portions like Costco does would entice consumers to over consume.

Which is better?

> For the consumers, single use portions. Well, that is for uneducated and undisciplined consumers.
> However, for the environment the definite solution is much larger containers allowing consumers to refill their needs from a main container. 
=> overall I do believe that since the main mass littering cultures come from the 'third world' and that these do not necessarily have the financial means to consume large quantities, producing rather large containers would not necessarily push them to over consume, and would thus be a tangible solution to littering.
Littering in the 'first world' / western world is mostly about beverage single portion containers.
Consequently, while the solution to littering in the third world is for the CPG companies to produce much larger containers and stop producing single/small portions containers, the solution for the western world is definitely to implement refilling stations, and rewards the establishments that do so. I strongly believe that implementing both these solution simultaneously would work and have a positive impact on the environment without necessarily harming consumers' healths.

...about reading:
Indonesians never ever read!!! It might seem crazy, but in the three + weeks I have been traveling in Indonesia so far, I have not once seen a single Indonesian read, nor have I seen a single magazine or book store.

...about being isolated away from westerners:
It is so strange to me that I am always seeking for destinations where I see as few westerners as possible in order to really feel away and in a different place, yet, I have now been the only white person/westerner in this town (Kolonodale) for more than 10 days, and I am tired of the lack of western presence. Mostly I think, because I miss speaking a normal English, and being able to a really have a normal and deep conversation with someone about a meaningful topic. Some normal eloquent interaction. I think, if I knew I were staying in this situation for much much longer, the alternative to not further lower my English skills would be to further my learning and practicing of Indonesian.

...about coffee:
I just realised today, May 23rd, that Indonesians do not use filters when making coffee.

...about scooters:
I assume that the laws wants that the driver of any motorcycle (scooter or more powerful) wears a helmet.

It appears that 95% of cases, scooter/moto owner only have one helmet, thus when driving their family, wife and kids are left without any protection.

Should the scooter/moto owner have two helmets, one is used by the father, one by the mother, and the kids are left without protection.

Δ scooter/moto owners usually carry their whole family on their machine.

...about gas:
I have been noticing all along Indonesia so fat that though the country is very rich in natural gas and is a big producer of it, at every single gas station, pit of the several pumps available, only two are working, and there is constantly long lines of cars, scooters and trucks waiting to get filled up.

I have been told that the price of gasoline is a serious factor in the daily life cost, yet to this day, I havent seen the price of oil go up once.

So I remain stranger by such phenomenon...

...about hygiene and religion:
Question: (specific to what I have seen so far in Asia)
When Muslims are preparing to pray, they carefully wash hands and feet to address to God. Why then can't they also respect the same norms of hygiene and cleanliness when it comes to their own lives and surroundings? It seems very hypocritical and contradictory to me. Should not you abide by the same rules when addressing to God than when addressing to your self and/or our neighbour?

Same goes for other religions who take good care to maintain a very clean 'temple', but do the opposite for their own house and community.

...about travelling:
It is apparently very rare for a foreigner to travel through some parts of Sulawesi. Even more rare for a foreigner to travel alone, and even more rare yet, for a foreigner to travel alone and also be single. I guess if I were also blond with blue eyes I would be as rare as Santa Claus! Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment