Thursday, December 18, 2014

Transiting through the Big Apple...and the snow!

Ah, Between Morocco and Brazil I had planned to swing by Connecticut to see Sonja and her beautiful family for Thanksgiving. Since I spent Thanksgiving there the year before I started my trip, I thought it would be a great idea to close my trip to spend another Thanksgiving at Sonja's again. Plus it would give me the opportunity to see her little monkeys, Surya and Milan. Last time we all hung out together was in Dehli, in December last year, for Naina's wedding. We spent about 10 days together. So I really missed them. And big bonus, Mushu and her beau would also be able to join!!!!!

First I landed in NYC and got to spend two fays in the big apple catching up with Lilly. We last hung out in Dakar at Astou's. NYC in the Xmas season is just delightful.

The week at Sonja's went by so fast, way to fast. I would have loved to stay there twice as long. Woodbury where she lives is in the middle of nowhere...and the middle of nowhere is also beautiful during the Xmas season. We even got to build a snow man with the kids and have a snow ball fight while we were at it.

The Thanksgiving dinner was absolutely delicious. I had rarely attended a meal where just about every single dish was made to perfection. Did that have to do with the fact that I helped out with the cooking? hahahaha! just kidding!  :op

For the whole week I was there I dont think we managed to go to sleep before 2 or 3 in the morning. We had so many interesting conversations. That week made me realize how much work two kids can require. And how challenging it can be for two parents to have two full time jibs and two kids to care for at the same time. Wow! Kudos to Sonja and Dalip as well as all the other working parents out there!!!

I miss those monkeys already!

I spent my last night at Mushu's in NYC. Thank God she came with me to the airport the next evening, as I had so many bags, and maneuvering around the NYC metro loaded like a mule would have been quite interesting.

Each one of the steps that got me closer to Brazil produced a bit of anxiety and a nod in my stomach. The end of the PDC course, leaving Morocco, leaving Woodbury, leaving NYC...I guess I was on my way to settling down, sort of, and starting a long term relationship for the first time in years, but making a full 180 degree turn from what I had been used to for the past two years on the road.

And so I left the NYC Xmas snow for the Brazilian tropical giant urban monster...

No comments:

Post a Comment