Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I'm leaving on the jet plane...


...don't know when I'll be back again...

January 9th 2014, 3:35pm.

I am writing from aboard the train going from Marrakech to Casablanca airport.

This is my very first post of 2014!

Today I am flying back to India, after two weeks of rest and family time in Marrakech where I came to not only spend time with my family, but most importantly celebrate my dad's 80th birthday.

It has been two fabulous and relaxing weeks. Well, as relaxing as family time can be. You all know that whenever reconnecting and catching up with family is not all that relaxing. Family meals, conversations, taking mom grocery shopping, visiting dad in his studio, feeding and playing with little Lola...only leaves so much time to read and zone out. But it was all so worth it and wonderful.

My dad's surprise bday party was also quite a success. Bravo to my mom for organizing it and for managing to keeping it a total secret and surprise for my dad. You should have seen his face and the moment of absolute confusion and loss he was in. It was so enjoyable to see that. I remember how I felt the same way when my mom and Julie organized a surprise bday party for my 18th bday.

After being almost constantly on the move for the past 9 months while traveling, I managed to actually stay put while at home. It felt good. I always manage to do this when I am at home. Stay put, and enjoy my family fully. No party, no clubs, no outings whatsoever.

And "best" of all, my parents don't have internet access, so in two weeks, I only accessed internet twice. In itself, a vacation. Hahaha!

Oh, and once again, I realized how little importance new years has in our family. Indeed, we were all in bed by 10:30pm on the night of the 31st...and that after struggling to stay awake since 9pm. My mom had cooked an exquisite diner though! It is quite hilarious when I think about all these people who have planned the party of the year for Months and who spend thousands of dollars just for that one night.

So yeah, that was my break at home...time to relax, recharge, make some adjustments to my traveling gear, eat delicious non risky food, sleep in the best bed ever, and spend quality time with family.

Lucky me, during my day long layover in Abu Dhabi, I got to spend yet some more fantastic catching up time with Nasser, my second roommate when I was living in the dorms at AU. (Thank you a million Nasser for your fantastic hospitality!!!)

I am actually finishing this post on the landing strip in Mumbai airport...

My neighbor passenger on the plane from Casablanca to Abu Dhabi didn't know how to undo his seat belt, nor the use of ear plugs...it gave me a it of a reality check on how privileged my life is and how many gaps there are between cultures, generations, countries, social levels, and educational levels...very timely reminder as I was about to re-embark on the rest of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment